Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Today I enjoyed a "Tree Tour" presented by the BYU Geography Club. It was fascinating. I learned that there are a variety of trees on campus worth looking at. I also learned that a Professor from the University of Utah cut down the oldest living tree known in the world on accident.

My favorite tree was this Gingko Tree. I loved the texture of the leaves, the height, and the color. I think it was my favorite tree of the tour. This tree is just outside the Heber J. Grant building, more commonly known as the Testing Center. If you want to plant this tree near your home, be sure to plant the male, because the female produces a fruit that smells really really bad. There are some female Gingko Trees in front of the Maeser Building.

It was really cool to see the trees that are referred to in the Old Testament as the Cedars of Lebanon. These trees are really symbolic in the Middle East and even appear on the Lebanese Flag. This tree is just south of the David O. McKay Building.

I also saw a leaf bug.


After the tour we had hot chocolate and cookies and talked about geography. We had a pretty long conversation before I had to reveal that I am not a geography major at all. They said I could still join their club if I wanted. They do have a pretty cool T-Shirt, and they have some cool activities coming up (ie Camping, Show shoe hike, not to mention this tree tour).

If you want to go on a Tree Tour at BYU, you can buy a guide in the BYU Bookstore for $2.50. I think I'll do it for a date sometime (If I can find a girl nerdy enough to go with me).

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Do you remember freshman year when you collected all those acorns from the oak trees? And how we used to throw them at your window and run away? Ah, good times.

Tegan said...

Vance. I LOVE you! And I love that you love trees! Did you know that the ginko leaf is supposed to improve memory? Did they tell you how the Professor "accidently" cut the tree down?

vance.bryce@gmail.com said...

Hahaha...Thanks guys! Well...he was doing some kind of experiment and decided to cut down the tree. It was only until after he counted all the tree rings that he realized he had killed the oldest living thing on earth.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2011 Oh Bobus!.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.